Friday, February 10, 2017

(Poem) The Lost Generation

The Lost Generation
I'm a part of Lost Generation
and I refuse to believe that.
I can change the world.
I realize this may be a shock but
"Happiness comes from within"
is a lie, and
"Money will make me happy."
So in thirty years I'll tell my children
They are not the most important thing in my life.
My employer will know that
I have my priority straight because
Work
Is more important than
Family
I tell you this
Once upon a time
Families stay together
But this will not be true in my era.
This is a quick fix society
Experts tell me
Thirty years from now I will be celebrating the 10th anniversary of my divorce
I do not concede that
I will live in a country of my own making
In the future
Environmental destruction will be the norm
No longer can it be said that
My peers and I care about this earth
It will be evident that
My generation is apathetic and lethargic
It is foolish to presume that
There is hope

*READ IN REVERSE*

I read this poem several years back and while I don't consider myself part of the Lost Generation, my children are.

Poem Written by: Jonathan Reed

No comments:

Post a Comment