Sunday, January 22, 2017

National Drug Facts Week: Early Prevention Starts With Awareness

Last week I received an email from Jackie Cortez of Prevention Coalition.  What a great way to start the National Drug Facts Week off than to share some valuable links? It starts with prevention. It starts with more parental awareness. Prevention starts in the home, in the schools, in the churches, in the clubs.

Jackie says:"I was taken aback by the Surgeon General’s recent announcement about our country’s addiction problem. While much of what he shared is not necessarily new information, it’s quite astonishing that, according to recent data, more people suffer from substance abuse than cancer.

As a parent and substance abuse educator, I am ever-vigilant about substance abuse awareness. Though it continues to be a difficult problem to address, it seems the best action we can take is to continue to educate ourselves and our children in the hopes they will understand the dangers of drugs and alcohol.

Through the Prevention Coalition, we strive to provide as many resources as possible to help teach every citizen about the effects of substance abuse. I’m impressed with your website, and I can tell we are of the same mind when it comes to prevention. Can I count on you to help me share these invaluable resources? I truly feel that the more resources families have, the better equipped they will be in prevention efforts. "

I definitely feel the same way about the resources. I think back to the resources we had in the 80's and 90's. We were without the Internet back then and relied on the materials that were provided to us at the time and for that era. Nothing could have prepared us for one of our children who would suffer the disease of addiction. I also want you to know that you can do everything right and still end up with a child one who chooses drugs. You can do everything wrong and your child may never try or use drugs of any kind.

Please take the time to read the links and arm yourself. Start the discussion today! Tomorrow may be too late.












For more information, please visit  Prevention Coalition

No comments:

Post a Comment