Monday, September 19, 2016

Putting Our Careers on the Happy Track

Today is the last day of challenges on Taking the Healthy Path. The next Challenges in the Live Happy book is about putting our careers on the Happy Track. We could all use some advice in the career area can't we?


I just started back to work for the peak season. I honestly love my job. It is fast paced. I have to meet a quota, but it's a fun job.

I have worked jobs in the past which did not allow a work and life balance. One of those particular jobs was when we discovered our son was using and abusing heroin and had been for about a year and a half.

I honestly feel like I allowed my job to get in the way of my family life. If I would have been present more at home instead of my job (which wasn't one that was a matter of life and death) that I possibly could have spotted the signs way earlier than a year into his addiction. My kids were adults, but I worked so much I didn't get to see or visit them that often.  I don't know. I can't go back and change things now, but I can make a change by allowing myself the work life balance with future jobs.

In the years I worked at that convenience store I wasn't allowed a vacation. Oh I had the hours for it. Actually taking one, nope. Each time I asked was like a colonic. We haven't had a real vacation since 2008. Life, the economy and finances get in the way of getting away and taking a real one. We need one!

Hopefully the next set of challenges on careers will have something for all of us working people!

Pic From
Just Outside the Box

No comments:

Post a Comment