Friday, September 30, 2016

Challenge Myself: Day #103 Workplace Conflicts

Today is Day #103 of the Nar Anon Group Just For Today Challenge. I am also integrating the Live Happy into my Challenge. The Live Happy Challenge for today says to summarize three points of your adversary's argument.

Employee conflict in the workplace is a common occurrence, resulting from the differences in employees' personalities and values. Dealing with employee conflict in a timely manner is important to maintaining a healthy work environment.

The book says,

If you really want to understand and overcome an adversary's point of view, actively listen to what he/she is telling you. Repeat your understanding of what he or she said (for that tends to reinforce what you thought and heard), and finally, summarize three points of his or her position.

Only when you fully understand where he or she's coming from, will you be able to align with that person and make your case against their position.

Practice that strategy on friends and coworkers during friendly, yet lively, discussions of opposing view point and then to overcome the objections to your position can greatly benefit your business.

I think we have all a time or two had a conflict with a coworker. Personally, I try to avoid conflict. I don't bring my personal problems to work. I try to leave them at home. If I am having a problem at work I try to go to that person directly to solve the problem. If that doesn't work then I'll climb that chain of command.

Normally I've found that the other person is just having a bad day too, or something is going on outside of the workplace and they are bringing it to work. It's okay to have a bad day, we all do but just don't rain your bad days on other people.

Just For Today: I am committed to resolving any problems if only for the sake of peace.

Other Links:
Dealing With Workplace Conflict


pic from cartoon stock
From the book: Live Happy

No comments:

Post a Comment