Monday, July 25, 2016

Challenge Myself: Day #41 Sparking A Conversation

Today is Day #41 of our Nar Anon Group Just For Today Challenge. I am also integrating the Live Happy into my Challenge. The Live Happy Challenge for today is about starting a conversation with a total stranger. Now, this doesn't necessarily mean that we are looking for love, or flirting either. Have you ever asked a stranger for the time?

Some people have a knack for engaging a stranger in conversation. Everyone we meet has a story of their own. No one knows what another person may be going through. They too may be dealing with a loved one who uses and abuses heroin or drugs.

The book says,

Don't worry about becoming tongue-tied around strangers. Think of three things to open a conversation.

Can't think of any?

Consider remarking on the weather, the facility or the environment you share with that person (the train station, elevator, grocery store, back or airline terminal, for example), or an aspect of his/her dress or accoutrements. Or just comment on a recent news headline.

Often, just an opening remark is enough to engage the other person. Make the overture and see where the conversation goes from there. You both may be smiling at each other momentarily.

I used to go downtown on Thursdays to the Library. On nice days I have sat in the park across the street with my laptop open- often blogging. I noticed this summer I have so much going on in my life I've only did that twice.

When out I have a habit of just watching people who pass by. Some are smiling while others are not. We never know what others are going through. When I worked for 7-Eleven I often met people who were homeless. Not too long ago on a hot day I bought a homeless man a bottle of water.

JUST FOR TODAY: To be kind to those I do not know because I don't know their situation.

From the book: Live Happy

No comments:

Post a Comment