Tuesday, July 12, 2016

Challenge Myself: Day #30 Giving The Gift of Life- Donate Blood

Today is Day #30 of our Nar Anon Group Just For Today Challenge. I am also integrating the Live Happy Challenge into my Just for Today and daily routine. The Live Happy Challenge for today is about Giving. The ultimate gift we can ever give is that of life.

The book says,

The greatest gift you can give anyone is the gift of life. Hospitals nationwide provide life saving blood transfusions every day. Yet, all too often, a shortage of blood prompts blood donation centers, the American Red Cross, and hospitals to call upon citizens to donate and help replenish the nation's blood supply.

Blood banks repeatedly call upon their good donors, those who don't mind coming in as frequently as every six weeks, to help them out.

Consider donating on a regular basis (if you are able) or even once a year on your birthday so that someone ill can make it to his or her next birthday.

The happiness you feel on your special day thus can be magnified by your generosity.

I remember several years ago when my mom needed a transfusion. Mom has a rare blood- The O Negative with the RH Factor missing. I sat with her while they started her transfusion and remember how scared I was for her but didn't let it show and how scared she was that she had lost a lot of blood during her surgery earlier in the day and now needed a transfusion.

I was unable to give her my blood because we aren't a match. I have O+ blood. But I remember how thankful I was that they were able to find a match for her rare type of blood.

What is the American Red Cross? It was founded May 21, 1881 by Clara Barton... Read more about their history @ The American Red Cross. The main office is located in Washington, DC but there are offices all over the United States.

Just For Today: Appreciate the best gift ever given to me, the gift of life.

If you're interested, ere is the list of local Donation Drives: BC Blood Donation Drives Schedule/Calendar

For more information, visit The American Red Cross website

Story here from the book, Live Happy
pic found @wiki

No comments:

Post a Comment