Friday, July 8, 2016

Challenge Myself: Day #26 Tolerance In A World Filled With Hate

Today is Day #26 of our Nar Anon Group Just For Today Challenge. I am also integrating the Live Happy into my Challenge. The Live Happy Challenge for today is to learn tolerance.

The word Tolerance means: The ability or willingness to tolerate something, in particular the existence of opinions or behavior that one does not necessarily agree such as acceptance, willingness, open mindedness.

The book says,

When was the last time you tried to understand a bias you hold toward something or someone?  If it's been a while, now might be the best time to revisit your beliefs.

Growing up, many people consciously and unconsciously absorb the biases of their family members, associates, friends and peers.

When you let go of intolerant biases and recognize and respect the beliefs of others, you are practicing tolerance.

Consider one or more of the beliefs you still hold. Perhaps your beloved grandmother told you things would never change, or the father you respected taught you not to trust anyone who didn't look or talk like you.

Think for yourself. Using truth and fact, compassion and understanding, create a new lens for seeing bias.

Tolerance? We on this side of the addiction do not see a lot of tolerance from others do we? Bias can be in all forms and especially towards those who are different than me, you and all the others.

While I respect others beliefs even though I don't always agree and want others to respect my beliefs as well for the same reason. All beliefs are different.

What I have is little or no tolerance for is the ignorance of many dealing with heroin and addiction. I need so much help in that area. I hurt for every family going through this.

We've all met them before though! They say some of the nastiest and cruelest things about those addicted to heroin. People can be so hateful, cruel and mean can't they?

They can say some of the harshest words especially relating to an overdose. I hate it! I hate that part of the stigma of this addiction! Meanwhile heroin stands back laughing because heroin does not discriminate in any way. Heroin doesn't care who is rich or poor. Heroin doesn't care about whether you are male of female. Heroin doesn't care if you are religious or not. Heroin doesn't care what skin color it will affect. In fact Heroin doesn't care which lives will be affected nor does it care which lives will be taken.

I just wish that others were tolerant and respected those of us going through this with someone we love. I wish there was a way to make them understand those who are addicted is, Someone's Child. For me, I want to learn the ways of being tolerant to those who don't understand this disease of addiction. For starters I need to learn forgiveness and forgiving others who are cruel. Not because they deserve my forgiveness, but because I deserve peace.

Just For Today: I will be tolerant even to those who are cruel and mean in the stigma of heroin addiction.

Teaching Tolerance
pic from: Dreamtime
From the book: Live Happy

No comments:

Post a Comment