Monday, June 13, 2016

Challenging Myself: Day #1 Choose To Think Happy Thoughts

It was suggested by our Nar Anon Leader, Tina as part of our group, The Bridge Builders and as part of the Nar Anon Just For Today to challenge ourselves each day.

"Everyday I want to challenge myself with something positive to do. if you would like to join please comment what your positive thing is for that day or comment on what you did to follow mine.
just for today - I am going to laugh out loud once every hour. (even if things aren't funny)"

Oh I know I need this little experiment. I harbor so many ill feelings toward a certain person and it
has been for too many years. I know that isn't a very Christian thing, but I am human.

I was reminded of several years ago when so many others were doing the Acts of Happiness and Kindness Challenge all around the blogging community. I was given a book last year, 365 Ways to Live Happy written by, Meera Lester. This challenge will give me an excuse to pick up that book.

From the book,

If you want to find happiness and add years to your life, think happy thoughts. When you choose 
positive thoughts over negative ones you are more likely to develop an optimistic out look on life.

A professor at Chapel Hill, NC says, "Positive people generally have higher levels of optimism and live longer.

She has said that changing your mindset can change your body chemistry. Positive feelings can open the heart and the mind. Even if you are not a happy person thinking happy thoughts is a skill that can be learned.

The book says that we need to work on being open and more optimistic choosing to think happy thoughts and seeing the proverbial glass half full rather than half empty."

Personally I am a pessimist, so this little happiness experiment will definitely test whether this is true or not. Can I change the pessimistic attitude to one of more optimism just by thinking happier thoughts? Can the little daily experiments change my way of thinking? Can I become a happier person despite what is tearing my family apart? I guess I will find out!!!

A little experiment from the book,

The next time someone is rude to you or insults you instead of returning the same, resist that urge to respond in anger and return the rudeness with kindness and respect. Keep positive in actions and thoughts. The more you choose to be happy, the more your effort will be strengthened.

My daily challenges will be taken from this book.

Just For Today:

I am happy for the sunshine and as I walked my dog this morning I noticed all the very beautiful wildflowers growing.

Becoming happier is easier than you think. With this practical, hands-on guide to all things joyful, you can bliss out in no time. You'll learn how to: Lighten up once and for all Work shorter and play longer Practice pleasing yourself first Attract more fun-friendly people Go from dull routine to dynamic lifestyle Master the pleasure principle Find meaning moment by moment Forgive, forget, and follow your bliss Reinvent your happy selves, one day at a time This book is all you need to be all you can be, "happily!" starting now."




No comments:

Post a Comment