Tuesday, May 24, 2016

Law Enforcement and Naloxone

I believe that OTC Narcan aka Naloxone (which is the generic form) is coming to West Virginia over the counter and could be as early as June.

As I was reading some of the information and news stories I came across one in particular.

"But law enforcement officials across the state, like Chief Preston, are still apprehensive. Preston believes there is a risk of cardiac arrhythmia, so he wants to make sure his officers are taught to recognize the signs of a heart attack, as well as how to administer Naloxone." Full Story

Narcan and Naloxone is the drug given to save a persons life in an overdose. I am just wondering about their same concern and risk of cardia arrhythmia should they have to activate a taser against someone?

Do they stand and yell first, "do you have a known cardiac problem?
No they activate the taser as needed.

Tasers have been known to stop the heart. We are talking about the drug Narcan and Naloxone the drug given that could save a persons life and they always want a debate. I see no greater chances in cardiac arrhythmias than the taser.

So I wonder, what is the real problem?

No comments:

Post a Comment